The Griffin was first built in the 1500’s and started life as a farm house called “Peppers”.
In 1744 the name was changed to The Griffin Inn and so the beginning of the pub was born. In 1801 another name change beckoned this time becoming The Griffin Head.
Our pub is steeped in history – In 1808 Sir Walter Scott, the famous Scottish author, visited. It is believed amongst many he wrote his book Waverly here. Throughout the building many of the original features are still visible the most notable being the ornate carvings above the fireplaces. These mantlepieces were “inherited” from St. John the Baptist church during the reformation in the 16th century. The carved beams actually date back to the 15th century and were originally ship timbers.
It was the local coaching house in its time with the long hill leading up to the pub known as “Griffin Hill”. When the motor car became popular there were garages available as well as stable blocks. 914-1947 was an important period of time as the building became an important residential hotel hosting 9 bedrooms, a hotel lounge and a tea terrace. In 1952 the building became a grade II listing hereby preserving its old characteristics.
There are many stories regarding ghosts and secret tunnels within the pub. Although not obvious, the belief is a tunnel is located at the back of one the fireplaces and leads directly to the church opposite.
The building itself has seen a lot of changes in its time but still stands strong to this day. It is now a perfect place for a quick catch up or a fantastic meal. Catering for everyone, enjoy a cheeky cocktail or two in our bar or garden or just call in for a leisurely coffee.